UnionPay cards can be smoothly used at 162 countries and regions worldwide.

Safe Convenient Preferential

America Europe Asia Africa Oceania
  • China UnionPay
  • Global sea purchase
  • Exchange rate inquiry
  • ATM Query
  • u•plan
  • Chinese

About UnionPay Tax Refund

UnionPay Overseas Tax Refund
Refund to card / Refund In Local Currency / Tax Refund Inquiry Service

In cooperation with global tax refund institutions, such as Global Blue, Premier Tax Free, Tax Free Worldwide and GB Tax Free, UnionPay has launched overseas tax refund service for UnionPay card (card number starting with 62 ). This service covers 38 countries and regions. In South Korea, besides Global Blue, UnionPay has cooperated with local tax refund institutions such as KTIS, Global Tax Free and Easy Tax Refund, all of which support direct refund to UnionPay cards.

UnionPay Overseas Tax Refund

Claim tax refund after shopping, fill in tax refund form and select UnionPay card (card number starting with 62) as refund payment method.

Have the tax refund stamped at customs or get approval at a tax refund kiosk

Post tax refund form and invoices

Get a tax refund form from merchants, fill in your personal information and select UnionPay card as refund payment

Get form stamped at a custom office

Mail the stamped tax refund form

Download a tourism tax refund APP

Fill in the information needed, select UnionPay card as refund payment and get tax refund confirmation

Show the confirmation to custom official if needed

Europe UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Belgium, Austria, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Slovenia
Asian-Pacific region South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Taiwan China
Americas Argentina, Uruguay
Africa Morocco
Downtown Refund
Self-help Kiosk refund
App Refund

* A total of 38 countries and regions(August 2016)

  • How to claim tax refunds on purchases?

    In South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, and EU countries, cardholders can claim tax refunds when they have met the minimum purchase for a tax refund required by the nation concerned at merchants with logos of the following tax refund agencies. Cardholders must also fill out tax refund forms (name, passport No., address, etc.) correctly under the clerk’s guidance in order to get refunded.

  • Do tax refund forms need to be stamped by customs?

    Tax refund forms must be stamped by customs. Tax refund forms without the stamp of customs will be deemed invalid and cannot be used to claim tax refunds. Goods departing from EU territory shall be examined by customs, and the tax refund forms shall be stamped by EU customs. It should be noted that the tax refund forms of Switzerland need to be affixed with the stamp of Swiss customs.

  • Can I use my UnionPay card for a tax refund if I haven’t
    paid with the UnionPay card when shopping at stores?

    Yes, you can. A tax refund form issued by a store generally will provide three options for tax refunds, namely, bank cards, cash and cheques. To use a UnionPay card for a tax refund, you only need to fill in your UnionPay card number(see the picture below). You may tell the attendant at the airport’s tax refund counter that you are using a UnionPay card to claim a tax refund.

  • Can both UnionPay debit cards and credit cards be used
    for claiming tax refunds on purchases?

    Yes. All UnionPay debit cards and credit cards (card number starts with 62) can be used for claiming tax refunds on purchases. Generally, the bank card column on tax refund forms is marked with “Credit Card”. However, no matter this blank is filled with the number of a UnionPay debit card or credit card, the refund will be transferred to the corresponding account.

  • Can UnionPay cards be used for claiming tax refunds if no UnionPay logo or word appears on the tax refund forms?

    Yes. Although in some countries, the UnionPay logo or words are not printed on tax refund forms due to system reasons, you can still fill in your UnionPay card number to claim tax refunds on the forms of tax refund agencies cooperating with UnionPay.

  • How can I inquire the processing status of a tax refund after claiming it (only with UnionPay cards issued within the Chinese Mainland)?

    Currently, inquiries can be made via UnionPay International WeChat account. You may obtain the information about the processing status of tax refunds by scanning the following QR code, and accessing "Help center – Online Tax Refund – Bill".

  • Can purchased goods for tax refund be used immediately?

    No. Purchased goods cannot be opened or used until they are examined by customs before departing from the territory.

  • Do I need to put all the purchased goods for tax refund in my hand luggage?

    Yes. If the goods are too large to carry on an airplane, you may put them with your checked luggage after the goods are examined by customs. Customs may refuse to stamp or confirm your tax refund information if the goods are not inspected by the customs.

Premier Tax Refund Inquiry