As the financial payments industry has grown and evolved rapidly, overseeing the regulatory developments impacting the global business of UnionPay International is becoming a strategic focus and investment priority for the company as it continues to expand exponentially in the number of markets, customers, strategic partners, transactions volume, and, consequentially, regulatory oversight.
This position is a global role and focuses on regulatory compliance within the Legal and Compliance. This person will have the opportunity to design, develop, and implement critical need compliance and regulatory policy and controls for the company in order to keep the business compliant with payment card legislation, central bank policy, data privacy laws, anti-money laundering laws, anti-bribery and corruption laws, financial transaction laws, currency controls, and other relevant regulation compliance efforts. The work will be demanding, along with it will be the chance to build and shape regulatory compliance efforts for a rapidly growing international company operating in over 100+ international jurisdictions. The role involves communications with external regulators and key stakeholders with internal liaison to Product, Settlement, Risk, Operations, and other relevant teams. This is a growth opportunity. International travel expected.
1. Support the Head of Legal and Compliance to develop a matrix in accordance with applicable regulatory environments so that the company’s business products and operations are compliant under the law. This includes monitoring local regulation, its impact and implementing internal instructions based on such monitoring in a structured and organized manner.
2. Provide efficient and timely guidance to headquarters and international branch offices on regulatory advice, legal issues, documentation efforts, and any other corporate legal and regulatory duties as necessary.
3. Manage regulatory and legal crisis matters independently and, if needed, with the assistance of other in-house and/or outside counsel.
4. If applicable, negotiate and review legal contracts and handle and other duties required by the Legal and Compliance team.
1. Qualified Lawyer and very familiar with local laws and regulations.
2. 2 to 4 years in a in-house, law firm, legislative/regulatory function, or control environment (a different industry is acceptable).
3. Great communicator, the ability to persuade and lead change is essential.
4. Ability to organize a systematized process, Microsoft Excel spreadsheet skills are essential.
5. Global mindset and outlook.
6. Must be fluent in English and Mandarin.
7. Bachelor Degree (or above) in Law, Legislative Affairs, or related discipline.
8. More experienced candidates welcome to apply and suitable arrangements will be made.